Information for Parents
Kidiwise has a mobile phone in each area for direct contact to your child's teacher.
Kidiwise Office - 07 5760149 / 027 365 8134
Wise Owls 0274 134 760
Owls 0274 134 760
Moreporks 0274 543 554
Nestlings 0274 513 252
Kidiwise has four separate homes each with their own spacious grounds. These are The Nestlings (3months - 2 years), The Moreporks (2-3 years), The Owls (3-4 years) and The Wise Owls (4+ years).
In each area there are 2 registered teachers and at least one unregistered teacher.
We have a miniature pony 'Sushi' which has a paddock at Kidiwise, and guinea pigs and chickens. The children have weekly visits to the farm to visit 'Crackle', the big pig, the horses and chickens.
To ensure our children enjoy regular outings, Kidiwise has a Toyota Hi-Ace van. It is clearly sign written and may be seen out and about Tauranga. It is used regularly to take the children to our swimming lessons, the farm, library, local parks, garden centres and other places of interest and activities. Each area has an allocated van day.
Recognising the importance of being confident in the water, as part of its programme, Kidiwise offers twice a week swimming lessons for its 3+ children. These lessons are only $75 for ten lessons, run twice a week for five weeks. The next sessions will commence in October 2016 and another in February 2017.
To develop the children's motor skills, Kidiwise has all levels of bikes and numerous bike areas. There is a ball area for the children to advance their ball skills with a cricket set, bats and balls! Playground equipment includes, ladders, boxes, a climbing frame, mokey bars and swings for the children to practice climbing, gripping and to build up their physical strength and coordination. We have an Adventure Bush Walk with bird cut outs along the way, for children to practise tramping, climbing, identify native birds, sliding down the mud slide, walking together and enjoying the bush. We have protective nylon pants and gumboots for the children to wear.
- All meals are provided by Kidiwise to the Nestling and Morepork rooms and morning and afternoon tea to the rest of the children. The older children are required to bring a packed lunch box. The meals provided by Kidiwise are prepared with minimal salt, sugar and preservatives. We have six bread makers to ensure the children eat and enjoy wholesome bread.
- If your child is allergic to any foods, please let us know.
- If you wish your child to have any formula, whole milk or breast milk while at Kidiwise, please let us have a clearly named bottle (already prepared).
- Bags should be clearly labelled and put into your child's cubbyhole on arrival.
- Please have two changes of clothes in your child's bag.
- We supply all nappies.
- Over 2 children must have shoes for riding the wide variety of bikes and Sushi our pony.
- For summer, please make sure your child has a clearly named sunhat and suntan lotion has been applied prior to arrival. We will apply again during the day.
- For winter, a warm hat, raincoat and gumboots please.
Sunblock and Hats
- Please supply a named sun hat for your child between the months. We do have a supply of spare hats for those who forget.
- Please apply sunblock to your child each morning before attendance between the months of September to April.
- We supply 30SPF sunblock, which is applied after lunch by staff before the children return outside.
- If your child has a sensitivity to sunblock please let staff know. An allergy card will be displayed in each kitchen. Please supply your own sunblock if necessary.
Sleeping and Rest times
Children sleep on stretchers with individual bedding provided by Kidiwise. Infant children are put to sleep as required. Toddler and Preschool children needing a sleep are put down for their sleep at 12.30 to 1pm.
- Please let us know if your child is sick and unable to attend
- If you suspect your child is sick, please keep him/her at home - especially if it is contagious
- Should your child have vomited, a 48 hour period is required prior to returning to Kidiwise.
- Should your child become sick while at Kidiwise, we will contact you and ask that you collect your child immediately
Settling Children In
Particular attention is given to new children to ensure they settle into the Kidiwise programme as quickly as possible. We recognise the change to childcare can be a stressful and challenging time for your child. A teacher is assigned to gradually show your child the routines, where to go for toileting, the correct procedure for meal times, mat times, current projects and how to ask for things. Here are some ideas for parents to help settle your child in - particularly the younger children
- As often as possible before your child is to attend
- Become familiar with your child's teachers
- Stay with your child in the first stages of transition until your child is engaged in an activity or happy with a teacher
- Your child can bring any special toys or cuddles that might help to settle
- It is a good idea to say goodbye once, leave and not return - inevitably your child will settle in
If your child is at Kidiwise on their birthday, we celebrate the birthday with a birthday cake cooked in our kitchen. Parents are most welcome to join us or leave cameras for us to record the celebration.
When your child enrols they are given a special portfolio in which is recorded the early learning and experiences while at Kidiwise. This book records your child's journey of exploration and discovery, special interests and strengths. The books are displayed inside the entrance to each building. Parents are welcome to take the books home at any time. The Preschool children have a filing cabinet with their own individual file to hold their paintings. Your child can check this at any time and take paintings home. At Kidiwise we find doing and completing craft projects is beneficial for the children's development. These are displayed at Kidiwise and individual objects taken home for parents to give 'pride of place' at home.
Communication with Parents
At Kidiwise we try to make communication with parents as open and informative as possible. We recognise parents are busy and to help with communication we have put the following communication channels in place
- An iphone in each area for direct contact to your child's room and teachers. These phones are used to send photos to you of your child's happenings during the day, particularly if she/he is unsettled on arrival. A photo of them happy and content puts a parents mind at rest.
- Weekly newsletters informing parents of social events, education programmes, parent and family events, environment initiatives, equipment and any other relevant information.
- A whiteboard outside each building keeps parents up to date with current events.
- Nappy changes, toileting and sleep times are recorded in information books available for parents to view each day
- Parents are encouraged to discuss freely any matter concerning their child or Kidiwise with the teachers and management.
The children are encouraged to develop their interest in gardening and help with the planting and maintenance of our vegetable garden and strawberries, all part of teaching the children sustainable practices.